Kingston Congestion Package
The Tasmanian Government and Kingborough Council have been working together to develop a suite of initiatives to implement the Kingston Congestion Package. The scope of the package is now agreed and comprises:
- $13.8 million – for initiatives to support the uptake of passenger transport, specifically:
- develop park and ride facilities at Huntingfield and Firthside – work is underway to commence construction by the end of 2020
- upgrade of the Kingston bus interchange
- audit and upgrade of bus stops, to ensure Disability Discrimination Act compliance and targeted improvements on high use stops
- trial of additional bus services to activate the Park and Ride facilities and to provide an express Hobart-Kingston bus service
- $7 million – for complementary council-led initiatives, including to implement the Kingston Place Strategy, which will guide the revitalisation of the Kingston central business area.
This package will complement other work underway to improve southern access to Hobart, including design work for a fifth lane on the Southern Outlet and changes to Macquarie and Davey Streets to improve traffic flow.
View next article...